Singapore. At a glance.

There’s always a first time for everything.
So, it was the very first time for me visiting Singapore, the country next door. I was leaving Jakarta by Air Asia earliest flight at 5.40 am. Really, I woke up at 3.00, got prepared, and heading to Soekarno-Hatta airport at 3.30.

Safely landed at Terminal 1 Changi Airport at sometimes around 7.30, Singapore time, which is an hour ahead than Jakarta. Got my M1 card activated before roaming tariff drains my purse, and then leaving for The Sleepy Kiwi at Bussorah Street to got myself checked in.

Faster Elevator

You, as an Indonesian, will find double speed elevator than you usually have here in Indonesia. It looks like fitted in with Singapore rush nature, in a good way.

We, I and 6 of my friends, took Airport Skytrain to Terminal 2, where MRT station is located. The Airport Skytrain charged us nothing. Then we headed to Bugis Station transit via Tanah Merah Station, the cost was S$3. All the MRT general ticket tariff is inclusive deposit S$1, so it was actually cost us S$2.2. You can refund the deposit immediately at GTM (General Ticket Machine) at your destination station.

MRT Single Trip ticket
MRT Single Trip ticket

The Sleepy Kiwi is located at Kampong Glam heritage area. Lucky for me who love ethnic and vintage stuffs. We paid S$37.62 per person for two nights, with refundable deposit S$10 per key. Unfortunately, it was out of check in time when we arrived at 10.30 am. But we were allowed to put our luggage to let us easily walked around the hostel prior to check in at around 2 pm.

Bussorah Street view at Kampong Glam area
Bussorah Street view at Kampong Glam area

After grabbed some Indian foods near to Arab street, we decided to went to Bugis Street. Well, that was the first couple hours in Singapore and we already bought bunch of souvenirs :))

Bugis Street Market
Bugis Street Market

No ‘prescription only drugs’ without prescription

You are not allowed to purchase any “prescription only drugs” without prescription in Singapore. Well, I was trying to buy pils (which apparently with prescription only) for my sore throat but I got myself rejected by the paramedic.

The rain fell immediately after we got back at The Sleepy Kiwi, and there was nothing we can did, as the rain didn’t looks like stopping over the afternoon. Well, the good thing was, we can had some good rest back then.

8 pm in the evening when we decided to start exploring the town, the country. Walked beneath drizzly sky to Nicoll Highway Station, got ourselves into the MRT headed to Dhoby Ghaut Station transfered to Chinatown Station, the cost was S$2.5.

But it was too late. I mean, most of places at Chinatown were already closed at the time we arrived. And as the rain was about to pour again, we rushed back to the station and headed to Farrer Park Station (S$1.5) aimed for Mustafa Center.

Mustafa Center is 24 hours shopping area located at Little India. You can easily find almost everything there. We busy spent the evening by moving from a shelf to another. It was couple minutes past midnight when we got back at The Sleepy Kiwi.

USS and Shopping Day

The second day, after a fruitful breakfast at The Sleepy Kiwi, we started the journey at Nicoll Highway Station, headed to Harbour Front Station transit via Dhoby Ghaut Station (S$1.7).

The lunch was yet to come, but we found our tummies so hungry. We decided to have a brunch at Vivo City food court. It was Indonesian food. A proper food for us :))

Halal food stall at Vivo City food court
Halal food stall at Vivo City food court

We took Sentosa Express from Vivo City for S$3.5 (return trip) leaving for Universal Studios Singapore. We spent a very pleasant almost a half day there. I personally watched and tried almost everything. From Steven Spielberg special effect show, Transformers ride, to a high speed rollercoaster called Cylon. I was so tired laughing and screaming back then.

Universal Studio Singapore
Universal Studio Singapore
So you think you're not afraid of height? Try Cylon! :p
So you think you’re not afraid of height? Try Cylon!

It was twilight when we headed back from Sentosa to Harbour Front Station and then took MRT to Orchard Station (S$1.7). We had dinner at Lucky Plaza food court, I was having Yong Tau Fu for S$4.7 (Singaporean meatball), and most of my friends had another Indonesian foods.

You'll never find Sevel stall like this in Indonesia
You’ll never find Sevel stall like this in Indonesia

There were a lot of souvenir kiosk in Lucky Plaza. We went out with couple big plastic bags in hands. But the night was not over yet. We brought all those stuffs all the way to Marina Bay Sands (Bayfront Station). Haha. What a load!

View from Marina Bay Sands. Lots of light! <3
View from Marina Bay Sands. Lots of light! <3

Couple minutes before midnight, we got ourselves rest on the bed at The Sleepy Kiwi.

Rushing day

The last day. We only have half of the day as our flight back to Indonesia was at 2.35 pm. We took MRT from Nicoll Highway to Esplanade Station (S$1.2), and then walked up the street to Esplanade, Singapore River area, and Merlion Park.

Merlion Park
Merlion Park

Back to The Sleepy Kiwi afterward, checked out, and looked for some other stuffs at Bugis Street. I bought myself a pair of shoes, and tried hard to not grab another pair of it.

Stay on the left. Unless you’re in rush.

Right lane is for overtaking only. You better stay on the left when you don’t feel like walking faster than other people.

We were literally running to Bugis Station, and rushed to Changi Airport. Almost late, but we still made it, though.

Touched down Jakarta at 3.30 pm. And I started to miss the clockwork city, mmm, country.



PS: Apologize for any incorrect English grammars written above, as I was so underpresure :p



Share this:
Facebook Twitter Email Pinterest Tumblr

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *